msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training--GPS?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training--GPS?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:50:56 -0400

I would suggest using the local orienteering association to set up a clue
course-- the orange level as defined around here is probably sufficiently
difficult.

We use the ride and seek formula for fundraisers. The course is well marked,
no time is kept and the winner is the team with the most correct answers on
the theme. We hand out a booklet with around 25 questions and post 30 or 40
answers on the course.

Cheap project and it can make $1600-1800 in a single run if you can get 80
entrants. Did one last year for the county equine council, plan 2 in 2007
for SAR.