msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:58:47 -0700

We are also Wilderness MSAR response, in some very steep Sierra Nevada operational area. We have MSAR Packers, etc. You're correct that the terrain - and even the mission - isn't always suited for combined MSAR+ATV. This is why I also mentioned the off-highway motorcycle and even the mountain bike ... because the ATV would be too wide, etc. And in some areas a wheeled vehicle isn't allowed.

However, in some missions - certainly not all! - we combine ATV very successfully with MSAR. You mention the "noise pollution" as a problem. The ATV must be far enough ahead on point, and the "noise pollution" has then acted as a "sound attraction" - a good search strategy in most incidents - for anyone in the vicinity. This has potential to start the missing person toward that loud noise. The ATV also doesn't need to stop as often and turn off the engine to shout, listen, look, etc., because MSAR is coming up behind. Riders following that ATV can follow up by calling the individual's name, blowing a whistle, etc., and be able to hear (or see, etc.) response.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kate Beardsley" <katebeardsley@hotmail.com>
Wow. I'm all for ATV use in SAR work, but including them in Mounted SAR?
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And maybe I'm just not understanding
how someone would want to include them in mounted SAR work. Besides having
distinctly separate training and safety issues, ATVs and equines have their
own sets of advantages and my experience says those advantages are very
different. Using them both on the same search may work out great, but when
considering using them together in a unit as Jorene described, I think
you're cancelling out each team's strong points.

We use ATVs for road searches and for the road parts of general searches.
When we use them, we frequently have to radio coordinate sound blasts as the
noise of other searchers' motors get in the way. ATVers can search large
amounts of road or developed trails quite quickly with very little fatigue.
They also can haul supplies with ease.

Horses may not clear roads quicker than the ATVs, but the riders do not have
to deal with the noise pollution factor. [...]
So...ATVs in mounted SAR? Well, the ATV riders do 'ride', so I suppose thery
'mount' their machines, but I think this is where the including ATVs in
Mounted SAR really ends...