msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:35:19 -0700

> ATVs are so common here that our horses absolutely must be
> okay with them coming at speed from behind etc. Ditto for
> dirt (motor) bikes and mountain bikes.
>
> Una Smith
> New Mexico

Ditto that Una! And it's something to keep in mind while training your
SAR mount. We find that Mtn bikes are the worst- they don't make any
sound and they can come up quickly and silently around a corner from in
front or behind. The ones that 'attack' from behind are the most likely
to cause problems on a narrow trail as the horse will often startle and
'jump' forwards- which can cause a trainwreck depending on conditions.
Case in point- we were riding a very very narrow sandy/shale trail with
a steep drop off to the right and a cliff face to the left. Mtn bike
careened around the corner behind us and actually ran INTO the rear of
the last horse. That horse is as steady as a rock, jumped straight up a
tiny bit, and turned and gave the rider a withering look. However if the
reaction had been different the results could have been disastrous. (I
was directly in front of that rider)

I have worked with mine and mtn bike volunteers until they are fairly
immune to the surprise factor. I would suggest the same if you are
likely to encounter this type of transportation in any situation.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR