msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:01:49 -0700

Our ground pounding unit also includes ATVs and snowmobiles. We have
talked about doing quite a bit of cross training with both units so that
we have extra trained personnel if and when needed. In our area we have
many many miles of dirt road so that ATVs are useful for transporting
personnel and equipment quickly. Once off trail my personal opinion is
that foot or mounted SAR is best - for all of the reasons that Tomi
mentioned. Now snowmobiles are an entirely different category. What
about Mountain bikes? Anyone using them or considering their use? I
think there are many instances where they might be handy- especially if
equipped with panniers.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR