msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jamie <jamie0276@centurytel.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:13:45 -0400

[Deleted included "digest" of yesterday's posts, ~700 lines. -Una]

I have 2 years experience with having horses with ATV's and I think it
works great. We help complement each other for the different terrain we
have in the Pacific Northwest. This year during a night training my
horse & I were teamed up with an ATV and he worked great, and kept up
when he had to.

Our unit is made up of about 30 members and we have ground ponders, 2
ATV's, 3 4x4's and 5 horses, and we work great together. Our search area
has ocean beaches to hills and deep wooded areas, so having a wide range
of ways to search has been helpful. We take our training very serious
and work out ways to use everyone in different situations.

Jamie Henington
President, Pacific County SAR
Long Beach, Washington