msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:48:07 -0600

Kate Beardsley wrote:
>My experience with MSAR is not the same as Tomi's -- ATVs
>definitely cannot go where horses can go where I live.

Tomi` left out the word "not"; to me, her meaning was clear
from the context, and from knowing her.

Mountain bikes can go (sometimes only with considerable
effort) wherever horses can go, that other wheeled vehicles
cannot reach without far too much delay. Sure, ATVers and
truck drivers can carry a chain saw for clearing treefalls,
but in most SAR situations trail clearing would not be an
efficient use of resources.

Una