msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:03:59 -0500

AL asked -> Has any one included or thought of including ATV units with
your search
> groups?

Al
Our group has mixed ATVs and MSAR together successfully for years with great
results.

We have used the ATVs mixed with MSAR for most everything including line
searches, recon missions all the way to running messages back to the
command center when radios went down in cold weather and cell phone towers
were over loaded from a hundreds of volunteer searchers from the local
college.

Each method offers strong points that can complement each other when used
correctly.
All MSAR should be comfortable working around ATVs, in MN it is a necessary.
I have been on searchers with no less than hundreds of ATVs on a single day.
(1500 hundred searchers total on one day)

TER
Training Officer and Director for Marshall County Mounted Sheriff's Posse -
An 80 plus membership SAR organization.