msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR to include ATV?
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:25:23 -0400

Hi Al,

Our mounted has trained with a Virginia law enforcement ATV group. The horses could go every the ATV went, but the ATV's could go every where the horses went (the same can be said for other resources). ATV's can cover allot of ground in a very short period when you need to get from point A to point B., but there are some downfalls to using them when looking for lost persons. When riding an ATV the operator can not hear a weak or soft call for help. Since the rider must be fully aware of the trail ahead, scanning off the trail from side to side is very limited and becomes even more limited a speeds over 10 mph.. The exhaust fumes from some ATV's will reduce the scenting ability from some animals, which has a negative affect on a special research. The turf and ground prints of the ATV tires destroy many tracks left by the victim or could ruin a small clue. On the plus side, an ATV can carry a searcher into a search area faster and can carry a fair amount of extra gear, provided the machine is equipped with racks.
Tomi`
TROT-SAR
Maryland

Santafearabians@aol.com wrote:

Hello Fellow MSAR,

Has any one included or thought of including ATV units with your search groups? Our new liaison officer with our Sheriff's Office asked me the other day what I thought of the idea. Any experience out there with the concept of MSAR, equine and ATV?
Al Hale, Jackson County, Missouri