msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:42:49 -0400

Our terrain is wooded and for the most part whatever comes down stays down
as well. However as tend to be flatter there is usually a route around the
blockage. This sometimes means that one of the larger mounts and riders has
to do some trail breaking through low brush while the others wait. In dense
woods it is difficult to see sometimes and very slow, very careful movement
is required. You must trust your mount and when he balks find another way
around.

What you need to determine is if the debris field needs to be searched. If
it does you will have to dismount and possibly use tools to move the debris
around so you can look. If you are dealing with a large area compared to
your assignment's resources a backup logging crew may be best. My experience
has been with flood damage and tornadoes and moving through those areas is
possible but more often a foot crew with power tools is best if a thorough
search is needed.

Irv Lichtenstein