msar-riders - [MSAR] Thank You

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hitch'n Post" <hitchnup@accesswest.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Thank You
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:52:04 -0600

Thanks to all who responded to my email on tuff terrain.

Pam Williams.
From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:11:23 -0700
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)

There have been several responses with good information. Key points are 1)
yes, train more frequently in the more difficult terrain; 2) know when to
dismount; and 3) communicate with management.

Statistics for clue detection indicate that the higher view from the saddle
would be advantageous in that kind of environment. However, if the riders
don't trust their horses - lack of experience in that environment - they are
watching the trail instead of searching, and the ability to spot clues is
greatly reduced.

If riders aren't comfortable with their safety riding through the area, try
doing a perimeter looking for tracks / sign that someone crossed into the
area. Send people in on foot to check track traps, etc.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar