msar-riders - [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hitch'n Post" <hitchnup@accesswest.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:56:01 -0400

[This e-mail was misdirected, rescued by me. -Una]

Yesterday June 27th we were called out for two men missing up on Cedar
Mountain about 8500 ft we have had a lot of rain this year after 8 years
of draught and the bark beetle so there were even more fallen trees with
very tall grass & steep terrain. We were out for over an hour trying to
work our way though all of this, it seem to me we spent more time trying
to get our horses over the logs and other hurtles and picking our way,
that we spent less time looking for the men. Is there a better technique
for this? Do we need to train more for this type of terrain? Is there
some places where we have to say we can't take our horses for their
safety?

Thanks, Pam Williams
Iron County UT MSAR
PS The two men were found.