msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:23:12 -0700

There are definitely situations and places mounted searches should
not/cannot go. Command will not always know this. There are several
reasons for this- 1. they may not be familiar with the terrain
themselves and 2. they may not be familiar with the limitations of your
mounts. It it important that you communicate with them in both
situations. We've been assigned to some pretty bad areas where we had
to just say "No can do." Usually someone in our unit is familiar enough
with the assigned area to make the call before we go out.

We also ride some pretty densely 'littered' areas. I agree with what has
been said already as to comfort level. When faced with this situation
you have a few choices to make: wait for reassignment; OR get off and
walk your mounts through the area (if possible, can often be safer than
riding); OR if the area is a contained fall than designate someone to
pony the mounts around while the rest of the unit does a foot search. In
ALL cases you should notify Command and explain so that they can make
the choice as to where your efforts will be most valuable. If you are
out of radio contact the call becomes much tougher for the team leader.
In all situations common sense and safety of the unit, both mounts and
riders, must be paramount!

Specific questions you asked:
Is there a better technique for this?
Each specific type of terrain requires a different techinque. Each
search requires a refinement of that technique depending on the
information you have about the subjects and the type of search being
requested by Command. If you are looking for someone potentially downed
in the tall grass you are probably better off on horseback. If you are
looking for tracks or other clues you might be better on foot. If the
ground is deep in old debris, steep, AND littered with fallen trunks but
you choose to cover it all the same you might find it safer for all
involved to be on foot. It's very hard to judge without viewing the
terrain.

Do we need to train more for this type of terrain?
If it is somewhere you can reasonably expect to be called to again then
I would say train for it and on it. We ride our mountains a LOT so that
both our mounts and ourselves are familiar with what might greet us on a
search. This is especially important for your less experienced members-
both equine and human. An experienced team can come upon something
totally unexpected and deal with it more safely. If you think that you
might frequently be called to this type of terrain you might want to
reconsider your tack needs as well. Breast collars? leg wraps? smaller
saddlebags? longer lead lines?

Are there some places where we have to say we can't take our horses for
their safety?
Yes, definitely! Not just for their safety but for yours as well! And
you should not be afraid to walk your mounts through nasty patches of
terrain- depending of course on your comfort level with this technique.

I am sorry your search was so frustrating. Been there, done that. Take
what you learned from this experience and apply it to future searches.
Each search will get better and as command becomes more educated about
your capabilities, and your limitations, things will go smoother. By the
way, were the men found?

Hope some of this helps.
Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse