msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Blowdowns and riding safety (Iron County, Utah)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:17:54 +0000

Pam,

Bottom line is that safety comes first and it is your responsibility
as a SAR field team to inform SAR management the terrain is not safe
for your horses and request an alternative task assignment. You may
also suggest what a good task assignment might be, if SAR management
seems to need help with that.

Now, whether or not your horses can handle working through extensive
blowdowns (which for those who don't know, is a several years' dead
forest with tree trunks lying every which way), that depends on the
age and density of the blowdown, other ground conditions, and your
team's comfort level, experience, and fitness. Your team includes
horses and riders, so there are many factors to consider, including
interactions among all parties. But there is a simple rule of thumb:
if any of your more experienced members are not comfortable with the
situation (and this includes having serious reservations about any
less experienced members), you are absolutely in over your heads and
should not continue. Better safe than sorry.

Something my team does, when we face situations like this, is plan
a training ride in similar difficult terrain under good conditions,
simply to learn, practice, and expand our collective comfort zones.