msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Operational issues

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Operational issues
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:37:59 -0800

Our reality is pretty close to what Jorene described, with a few
modifications! Our main call-out list does contain locations of members.
We live in a fairly tight mountain valley but sometimes a difference of
30 minutes is a lot- so we have geographical info on the list. We also
have a main list that includes info about the horses- fast walkers, good
in steep terrain, as well as who is novice, experienced, local terrain
expert, etc. We do a mix of call responses. When we are on a local
call-out we use info to create teams that are compatible and flexible.
When we are on a mutual aide call-out we let the command post know we
have the info. Sometimes they use it, sometimes they ask one of us to
help with team development, sometimes they are so pressed for time and
resources they just put us where they need us. We are used to all of
these eventualities. (The only time it is critical is notifying them
when someone does not have SAR Tech II status as in our county they must
go out with a TechII rider. There was talk for awhile of not allowing
them on operations but the reality is that often one more pair of hands
and eyes is welcome and needed!) The last big search we were on the
critical factor turned out to be creating teams with GPS experience and
equipment! You never know what issue will affect the formation of teams
and so, as in most MSAR work, flexibility is the name of the game! A
great big plus in all cases is familiarity with your entire unit- both
human and equine. We ride together for pleasure as well as work which
allows us a greater knowledge of each others capabilities.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR