msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Possible Magazine Article about MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: bonnie elster <elster530@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Possible Magazine Article about MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:10:04 -0800 (PST)

Nevada County - Gary Dodds - has some good rescues to tell about.

MSAR Maintainer <msar@ibiblio.org> wrote:Lee Farren wrote:
>Hello MSAR-Riders List-
>
>I'm a freelance journalist working on a mounted search and rescue story
>suggested by the editor of Western Horseman Magazine. I stumbled upon the
>MSAR list and found it fascinating.
>
>I want to tell the story of a specific mission, probably a rescued missing
>person, in which horses figure prominently. Western Horseman is a horse
>magazine, so the focus will be on how the group uses horses and what it's
>like to carry out a search and rescue operation on horseback.
>
>May I inquire through the MSAR list for members who might be willing to
>share a story? If so, could you tell me how to go about it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lee Farren
>Freelance Journalism
>PO Box 53
>Ukiah, OR 97880
>541-427-3047
>leefarren@bmi.net

The above was sent to me off-list but was intended for
MSAR-Riders, so here it is.

Una
http://mail.yahoo.com
From: "Pam Williams" <hitchnup@accesswest.com>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:57:07 -0700

I would like to reply to kicking horse's, Yes mare's are more apt to kick
but I've been around geldings that kick also and yes you can teach them not
to but it needs to be up to the rider every time that horse gets ready to
kick or bit he sends a signal, you need to learn to read your horse. It is
to hard for other riders to have to watch out all the time for your horse,
we have been out on search practices as a group and if your busy looking for
signs or looking at your compass or maps all of a sudden you look up and
your right in the striking zone. If you have a horse that is a hazard to
others then you should not be in a group until you have control of your
horse.
Pam Williams
Iron County Search & Rescue
Utah
P.S. All horse's kick I am talking about chronic kicking and bad
behavior.----- Original Message -----