msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Possible Magazine Article about MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: lmabry@zianet.com
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Possible Magazine Article about MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:39:26 -0700

The only reason a 'rookie' would be the last called on our team is that his/her name is at the bottom of the list.
Lydia Mabry
www.dacsmp.com

Jorene Downs writes:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
[...]
But...we could tell you a composite story...
Lee Farren wrote:
the focus will be on how the group uses horses and what it's
like to carry out a search and rescue operation on horseback.

Okay, to start...
5am. The phone rings and you pick up. On the other end is
Billie, your volunteer SAR team's person on call for the week.
Billie got a phone call at 4:12am from the Sheriff's Office,
requesting your team for a SAR mission. Since then, Billie
has been working the phone tree for your team. You are new
and inexperienced, so you get called last.

Why is the rookie called last? If I had a rookie on my call list I'd potentially call him/her first instead of last, suspecting the rookie won't have the experience and pre-planning to do a rapid "load and go" that a more seasoned team member would do.
But I think Lee should understand that there are different types of response areas, and kinds of response requiring more specialized training. So I'll start by clarifying that while there is common ground at the core of MSAR for training and general expectations, there are different areas of specialty beyond that core. Specialties may include Urban MSAR, Wilderness MSAR, MSAR Packers, etc. Some mounted teams are searchers, some are also trained and equipped to provide rescue of varying degrees. Much depends on the team's willingness to do more extensive training, and on the expectations and needs of the local operational area management in charge of SAR, which is commonly the Sheriff's Office in Western states, but might be the local Emergency Manager.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar