msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Operational issues

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Operational issues
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:53:06 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Chris Pennington wrote:
When we are on a local
call-out we use info to create teams that are compatible and flexible.
When we are on a mutual aide call-out we let the command post know we
have the info.

This is the opposite of what I understood Jorene Downs to
mean: units provide pre-defined field teams for mutual
aid, but for local SAR they are organized into field teams
by incident command.

Not opposite. ;)

For Mutual Aid there is an ICS expectation to show up with information about your team and individual qualifications. Commonly that team from out of area is sent out intact - assuming you showed up with a team leader, which is definitely preferred - but sometimes you end up with a combined team, so having access to the individual skills helps identify who goes on the combined team so appropriate skills go into the field. Having access to the team skills info also provides management with a reference if X happens in the field, so you have an idea of how well trained and equipped that team is to deal with X.

If you have a local operational area response and commonly work with the same SAR management, team assignments tend to be more flexible and adjusted based on who is available. "Complete teams" aren't required because you can be partnered with others. Local SAR management should be well aware of the skills of the personnel likely to respond in their area, and know what kind of mixes are possible.

For example, once we sent out a solo rider with a ground team because we didn't have other riders ... but that groundpounder team leader is an experienced horseman who has ridden MSAR in the past, so we felt comfortable with that assignment. Lacking that 2nd experienced horse person for team assignment, the rider with the horse would have been put to work at the CP and I would have found lots of things he could help with, including running transport of ground personnel with his pick-up. And again that would have been safe leaving the horse at the trailer while he drove away, because I was present and qualified to deal with horses. Flexibility in assignment to teams allows for more effective use of available resources. ;)

But you also get into the issue of "how big is a team?" for MSAR response. Assuming you don't have a line search planned, in easier access areas it may be common to send out 2 riders together. I prefer 3 because that allows for an extra person in the event of a rider injury, has someone available to act as post while 2 riders are dismounted, etc. In Wilderness MSAR I prefer minimum teams of 4 because that is sufficient personnel to perform a mounted transport with chair carry saddle assist, if needed. And that team of 4 also has potential to temporarily be split in the field, or even reassigned in the field into 2 teams, if needed. Others may have different preferences. And if so, I'd like to hear about them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar