msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: Possible Magazine Article about MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: Possible Magazine Article about MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:24:12 -0700

Una Smith wrote:
>> 5am. The phone rings and you pick up. On the other end is
>> Billie, your volunteer SAR team's person on call for the week.
>> Billie got a phone call at 4:12am from the Sheriff's Office,
>> requesting your team for a SAR mission. Since then, Billie
>> has been working the phone tree for your team. You are new
>> and inexperienced, so you get called last.

Lydia Mabry:
>hmm - I like when we get a call at 10pm and need to leave by 3am to get to
>the destination by daybreak - do you go to bed (and never sleep) or do you
>just start driving and sleep an hour or two before you saddle up?

Good alternative! I wish we got more calls like that; I
like having a choice.

Okay, 10pm, leave by 3am...

You're wide awake now and so excited you probably cannot
sleep anyway, so you decide to get organised now. After all,
this is your first real search and it might take you a lot
longer to get organized than you think it will. Better to
use the extra time well. Billie has told you who else from
your unit will be responding to the call, and that Joe, an
old hand, will be looking after you.

10:15pm You call Joe and together he and you plan...

Una