msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Operational issues / Possible Magazine Article about MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Operational issues / Possible Magazine Article about MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:05:57 -0800

From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Jorene Downs wrote:
You're also assuming the Mounted organization will coordinate defining their
own teams.

That is how it usually works on New Mexico, although not
always. I am aware that team typing is not (yet) in use
everywhere.

We have Typing in CA. I wasn't referring to team Typing. ;)

I'm referring to what I perceived as an assumption the Mounted organizations will identify who will be assigned to which team during a SAR. The call-out might request all available MSAR to respond, then all team assignments - plus naming team leaders - might occur at the CP after the liaison communicates with SAR Management. Resources might be combined, split, or reassigned based on incident needs or new information. Also, the size of a team might vary according to the mission. SAR Management may want a mounted team of 2 for one mission, and a team of 6 for another.

MSAR team leadership / liaisons need to know which riders are qualified for what, but be flexible regarding assignments. If MSAR is prepared to work with other resources in a mixed team, or respond dismounted, pre-assigning MSAR mounted teams becomes a moot point. ;)

I see showing up with a pre-defined team and team leaders as more of a Mutual Aid issue than a local response issue.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar