msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: JULIE FRANCO <snowyridgeranch@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:23:15 -0800 (PST)

When a horse kicks what is it saying?...it usually is a defensive
move...."don't come near me"...don't crowd me".... STAY AWAY!....John Lyons
has an excellent trainin section on this problem...it involves ground
training techniques including body language observance...a lesson I will be
reviewing with my mare...who is the one who kicked out at Paul's horse
Patches! We are all responsible for our own horses and if they have a hole in
their training it is up to us to do our best to correct it and always be
careful around and defensive of others horses! Julie Franco

Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:Mares are not alone in kicking at
irritants behind them,
so for starters forget about the fact your mare is a mare,
has been bred, acts differently in front of vs toward the
back of a pack, etc.

The bottom line is the behavior is not acceptable and it
is your job to communicate this to her. Can you feel her
thinking about kicking? That is the time to correct her.

Polo, especially arena polo, is often played in a tight
pack so the no kicking rule is basic training. A helpful
training exercise is to trot, canter, or gallop together
with another, experienced horse behind her, right on her
tail. The following horse has to be willing to crowd but
do so without any attitude: no aggression, no fear, "just
doing my job Ma'am". The faster pace denies most horses
the opportunity to kick, but does entail some risk for the
following horse and rider: stepping on your mare's heels
can cause the following horse to fall.

For more detailed, specific advice, search the archive of
the newsgroup rec.equestrian, ask for training tips on the
US Polo Association's web message board, or read an older
book on training polo ponies (ask for help if your public
librarian won't find some for you via interlibrary loan).

Hope this helps,

>From snowyridgeranch@yahoo.com Tue Mar 15 23:49:18 2005

b=nARiEN9HQ/JmUgv02DoV45lvBg2lWLXOeFQmpt/2skE3dJ93AWFQOufVOVl/zQJJv0llaW8rVXv+VM9xbJIX2GPOc9UL71T4Fgw+PHE1Rx+Y1AeVMDexADIvAVTfU+tin+W5PiSXNYZvi0bnDyo2C7D8+AEgvqlVuBY6f/LUG0o=
;