msar-riders - [MSAR] Safety in MSAR / Training mares not to kick

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Safety in MSAR / Training mares not to kick
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:43:58 -0800

From: "JULIE FRANCO" <snowyridgeranch@yahoo.com>
We are all responsible for our own horses and if they have a hole in their training it is up to us to do our best to correct it and always be careful around and defensive of others horses! Julie Franco

I agree that this is an important skill related to safety in MSAR. Not just being responsible, but having the skills to control the horse to prevent an incident from escalating to a much more dangerous situation that might involve many others. The incident described could have been much worse if there weren't experienced riders promptly taking control of their horses when something unexpected occurred. That prompt response minimized the potential for injury to others.

A SAR can also increase stress on the horse, if only reacting to stress transmitted by the rider, increasing the potential for that horse to act in an unsafe manner because the horse may perceive a threat and react like the prey animal it is. The poorly controlled actions of a 1000 pound animal on a SAR could easily endanger the rider's life or the safety of others.

This is why I believe it is so important to test not only the disposition of the horse but also test the specific skills of the rider needed to control that horse before that combination ever goes into the field on a SAR. A safety issue not just for the individual and the team, but also for anyone who happens to be around.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar