msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Attn: Western Horseman journalist

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Attn: Western Horseman journalist
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:03:58 -0800

From: <pennbo@bbv.net>
Hi, what exactly are you looking for? If you elaborate some we might be
able to help you better. I don't believe that our department frowns on
anything printed as long as it's done respectfully.

I am curious how many of our other MSAR groups on this list feel
prohibited from publishing accounts? (besides Una's)

Chris, as long as specific details are intentionally vague and the published information is strongly focused on the rider's participation - rider's personal emotions, skills used, how the horse was involved, etc. - I don't think anyone would object to something like that in an article. Where we'd trod on official toes would be providing information to the press that should come only from the department's Public Information Officer. Keep in perspective that even years later, you're still speaking as someone associated with that department.

"We were searching for a lost child missing from a campground. There was an unexpected snow storm coming in and we knew we had to find him quickly or he might not survive the night. We knew the boy might not hear or answer when we called his name. It was already dark and visibility was reduced to what we could see with flashlights and headlamps. My mare turned her head and I realized something - or someone - was off the right that I couldn't see. I dismounted and ... we found the little boy alive, and ..." should be acceptable because it doesn't name names or locations or other pertinent details. The focus is on the rider/searcher skills and the horse's participation instead of the actual incident.

Use substantial discretion, share only positive comments, describe only safe practices, leave the incident details to the PIO, and it shouldn't be a problem. But departments would likely want to review the comments prior to being released for potential inclusion in an article, just in case, since the article should mention your name and your association and county.

Better to check with the agency prior to sending off any SAR tales for publication. Possibly they'd approve something written with an approach similar to my example. But they also might take the stance of better safe than sorry and say no since they have no control over what from your tale would actually be printed, and a sentence out of context might not reflect well on MSAR in their county. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar