msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:02:16 -0800

I doubt its possible to teach mares not to kick. Horses being what they are
in all. I feel its far safer to be aware of the striking distance of any
horse and do your best to stay away. This has served me well. This past
weekend I was standing beside my horse observing the training going on when
one of the members of my unit lead her horse right in front of us up closer
than I would have approached had I been walking up to the horse. I remember
I had a sence of danger at the closeness but chose to ignore it, I knew the
horse, she'd be ok Seconds later my horse ducked and I got my hand up in
time to shield my face but took a pretty good shot to the back of the hand.
I don't know what that big dummy did but she sure didn't like it and let us
know. I have been around that mare for a couple of years and she is not
known for kicking or agressive behavior....She' s just a horse and that's
what horses do.

Regards

Paul