msar-riders - [MSAR] Training mares not to kick

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne <lyne612@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Training mares not to kick
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:56:04 -0800 (PST)

I would sure appreciate some suggestions on teaching my mare not to kick at
horses behind her. What's ironic is that she would like to run HER nose right
up on the horse in front, but thinks she needs about 10 feet of clearance
behind her.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but she had 2 foals before I got her,
she is lower middle class in the herd, doesn't squeal when sniffing noses,
likes to be in the front of the trail group, and won a few races on the track
as a youngster. When she is first in line on the trail, horses are OK to come
up closer behind. When she's towards the back, she is more uncomfortable and
less tolerant of tailgaters.

¸..·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´
Lyne Peterson