msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Possible Magazine Article about MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Possible Magazine Article about MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:03:13 -0700

Lee,

Congratulations on getting an assignment from Western Horseman.
Some weeks ago I sent them a notice of the ASTM International
(www.astm.org) work on a new standard for training of mounted
SAR team members. Perhaps that stimulated interest?

Anyway, you might not know but telling SAR stories for mainly
general interest or entertainment value is frowned on; these
are not our stories as much as they are the personal stories
of the people we help.

But...we could tell you a composite story...

Lee Farren wrote:
>the focus will be on how the group uses horses and what it's
>like to carry out a search and rescue operation on horseback.

Okay, to start...

5am. The phone rings and you pick up. On the other end is
Billie, your volunteer SAR team's person on call for the week.
Billie got a phone call at 4:12am from the Sheriff's Office,
requesting your team for a SAR mission. Since then, Billie
has been working the phone tree for your team. You are new
and inexperienced, so you get called last.

Next...(someone else fill in the next paragraph here)