msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Typing for MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Tm' Fi" <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Typing for MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:37:01 -0500

Some other key factors that I see repeated within the Typing Standards:

* The duration that a Team can be self supporting. In a few case
the only difference between a Type I and a Type III team is the
duration of hours that a team can deployed (ie: less than 24
hours, 24 hour, 48 hours or 72 hours).
* Communications systems (radios, base stations or repeaters) that
are capable of direct contact with other teams or resources,
* Number of personnel/resources within a team.
* Ability to manage an incident with knowledgeable team leaders.

Jorene Downs wrote:

> I think the Typing system is a good way to identify general
> expectations. I'm thinking perhaps 4 "Type" categories for the general
> MSAR that addresses moderate terrain and environment challenges.
> (Suburban, rural. Not wilderness/backcountry.) Perhaps others can
> share their thoughts on the general concept?

The general concept is a good starting point. However, I believe the
term we all can use that is more conforming to the type of terrain an
MSAR Team would respond. From a basic unity stand point it would
prevent other search resources or managers from making the statement
"This is not Horse Country." According the format the national
standards are being written, there is no reason for Type II teams to be
located in both Utah and Delaware (That of course does not mean that
both teams can be relocated and do the same job). The key goal needs to
be the common denominators that unite us and not those that separate us.

> * Type 4: This would be support personnel with basic MSAR training to
> demonstrate fundamental horse knowledge and handling skills. Basic
> training in ICS and fundamental SAR, without being considered field
> ready. Support would provide assistance at Incident camp, haul
> trailers to drop off / pick up mounted teams on mission assignments,
> transport personnel and supplies, etc.

I believe all MSAR personnel need to be "Call Out Qualified." Support
or assistance at base camp or staging should be expected by any MSAR
Team (or SAR personnel), regardless of their Typing level . In many
cases a type IV team deployment period is for less than 24 hours. I
would caution about including/citing too many logistic duties lower
trained MSAR personnel and focus on basic MSAR skills/levels, since it
could lead to allot of "just bring your trucks and trailers" calls.

> * Type 3: This would be the generic MSAR field teams. Personnel have
> appropriate ground SAR training. Confirm the horse/mule is calm and
> reliable, and the rider has appropriate skills to control the horse.
> (Obstacles, sensory challenges, etc.) Demonstrate SAR ground skills
> transferred to the saddle. Add MSAR-specific skills and gear. Day
> searching, but prepared for emergency overnight in the field. First
> Aid current. Able to package for litter carry or helicopter
> extraction. Can provide mounted evacuation / transport (subject a
> passenger in the saddle) if the subject doesn't need a litter.

Personnel should simply be listed as "Call Out Qualified." since most
all states have different minimum requirements. Using the term
deployable for 24 to 48 hours would by default include overnight
activities and would directly relate to a teams performance skills. The
level of patient packaging is good, so is knowledge of air operations.

> * Type 2: Same as Type 3, but prepared to search at night. (This
> requires additional training for horse and rider.)

Night ops should be required for any team deployable for more than 24
hours. Type II teams should be deployable for 48 to 72 hours, with a
greater level of training and variety of equipment (ie: the ability to
establish a self supporting base camp).

> * Type 1: Same as Type 2, but add more rider skills and knowledge ...
> including Team Leader related skills.

I agree, maybe adding some incident management tools or knowledge of
CERT, levels of medical care (ie: medical supplies for humans and
equines), administrative supplies such as computers or a limited power
supply. All Type I teams should have the ability to deploy for a minimum
of 72 hours.

We I get back to my office tomorrow, I will try and post the draft
Typing MSAR list that I am preparing for use in my region. We can pick
it apart and see what we all can come up with for others to use in their
areas. FEMA and EMI have some really good online courses that any of us
can complete and perhaps some new ideas could from that source too..

Tomi` Finkle
TROTSAR
Maryland

  • [MSAR] Re: Typing for MSAR, Tm' Fi, 12/28/2004