msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:02:19 -0700

Well said Chis!

TER
Marshall County Minnesota Sheriff Posse
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 10:36 PM

Overall, the national standards requirements seem like they are coming
anyway. So I hope all you knowledgeable MSAR folks will jump in and make
them the best they can be. Now is the time.

Jeff Ezell
I think this is it in a nutshell. When you see something coming your way you have a couple of choices- get on board and try to make sure you can carry the load when it hits you; duck and hope it flies by without anyone being any wiser; run and hope you can avoid it for ever. <G>  I'm jumping on board. Our county already requires SAR TECH II certification for all SAR field personnel. Further requirements are a matter of probability not possibility. I believe that a good portion of this direction is due to the potential for legal action against the various agencies involved in any SAR action. Standardization, especially national standardization, makes good sense from this point of view. From the point of view of SAR teams we ought to be glad that national standards of any kind are happening- especially ones where we have had a chance of input. <g>

Why do I think standardization is important and why doesn't it bother me that NASAR will be the ones to do it? First, when I am in the field I want to know that any other teams joining me know basically the same things I do, have basic control over their mounts, and are capable of helping rather than hindering any operation underway. Second, because I am invested in the idea of Search and Rescue I want to know that anyone getting lost anywhere in the US has a good chance of being looked for, and hopefully rescued, by well trained teams that are a credit to the entire SAR organization. And third, least important but still an issue, I want to know that MSAR teams- by proving competence in a national set of standards, may begin to get some of the credit they deserve and may rise above being the "butt" of jokes by folks who don't know our capabilities.

I have no complaints against NASAR. They are no more or less expensive than other professional organizations I belong to- all of which are volunteer organizations. They have the resources and the name recognition to lend credibility to any new standards. I am pleased that they have seen the need and are reacting to it. I appreciate those of you on this list who are volunteering to help in this endeavor.

Now, what was that issue that you wanted input on? <G>

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR

PS- just wanted to say that there have been some really thought provoking and sensitive posts here lately. Some of you are very eloquent in your presentations and obviously lots of thought has gone into all the posts. I appreciate the passion that everyone is showing as we debate this important issue. It is indicative of deep committment!!