msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian Vowles" <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Guns in SAR
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:13:27 -0600

To share our perspective :

The principles we have adhered to include;

a) - Of paramount importance - the requirements of the authority having
jurisdiction - and therefore our call out agency. They really do call
the "shots" !! We will abide by their requirements even if it is not our
own team or personal perspective. ( Sometimes with reservations )

b) - In the absence of an instruction to the contrary we allow /
encourage , personal choice - either open carry as per Colorado law OR
licensed concealed carry if appropriate.

c) - Personally I always carry a lightweight 22 magnum in my saddle bag
as a minimum.

d) - On extended trips into the back country I will often take the extra
weight of a 357 or 44

e) - Some of our people will carry a small 38 revolver some nothing .

However we are fortunate that the area we serve is fairly unlikely to
produce much in the way of 2 legged problems - otherwise we should carry
shotguns as standard !!

IF our members wish to carry "open" whilst in uniform we require six
monthly qualification as to the basics of gun handling / shot placement.
This is a common sense and a liability issue.

There are two principles we consider , a) The authority calling us out
has total control and b) all our teams are both background checked ( to
FBI level ) and sworn to uphold the state and federal constitution -
therefore if "George" wishes to carry a 45 ACP concealed in his
waistband - good luck - they are heavy !!

The benefit we have is that everyone is background checked to a high
level and by virtue of our encouragement all are licensed to carry
concealed which requires yet another higher level of background check (
finger prints etc ), the combination means we have a very comfortable
sense of each other and are confident in the other persons ability and
mindset.

So far , our experience would indicate that the only time the
authorities have a concern is when the resources are either unknown to
them or have an "attitude/integrity/competency" issue in which case they
don't belong in the field of operations anyway . ( NOTE - I speak for
our area only NOT other areas which may be seriously different in
demographics etc )

I would certainly listen but would have some concerns if a callout
agency was willing to use and trust our teams with the lives of others
or possible crime scenes yet decided the same people were unable to be
trusted with their own firearms - to my feeling that is contradictory
and inappropriate in a general sense ( yes there are exceptions ) .

The question should be - if I do not trust that person with a firearm in
the field why the heck do I allow them to be there ???? !!!

Happy Trails !

Ian Vowles
Commander,

Unit A - Mounted Rescue