msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:49:24 -0700

We have several folks who are trained and licensed to carry. We do not
have a requirement. We do however have one faithful member who packs a
pistol and is on virtually every search so we feel well covered-
especially with radio contact. We have discussed the possibility of
having to put a horse down (its happened before in our group) and are
currently discussing different solutions.

I also have traveled all over the world and into many wilderness areas
as a single woman and have felt safer without a gun. However, the world
is changing and so are the people. My area is close to a metropolitan
area and we get very strange people hiding away here. I am enrolling in
classes to learn to use a weapon for home protection. My choice, based
on law enforcement recommendations, a double barrel shotgun. I still
won't carry a gun while riding. But I am pretty handy with a knife.

Chris Pennington
Commander, Big Bear Sheriff's Posse MSAR