msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Guns in SAR
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:15:11 -0600

I am with Chris here. Whether or not to carry a gun depends on
many personal and local societal circumstances.

My local gun club also runs weapons classes for women concerned
about self- and home-defense. The weapon of choice is a shotgun;
very effective against human predators, but not for putting down
a horse.

If you have to shoot a horse on a mission, please radio in your
plan, and request (and wait) for permission from Incident Command!
Don't surprise your fellow SAR volunteers or frighten the subject.
Especially consider: what if the subject may be suicidal and the
family is on scene and hears a gunshot?

Please don't even think of carrying euthanasia injection drugs!
That is even more dangerous than a loaded gun, if you ever lose
possession. Consider how you would need to guard against theft.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico