msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:13:56 -0700

> Our county feels we are protected by our deputies &
> doesn't allow us to carry. We are to call in a deputy
> any time we feel uneasy or feel the need for
> protection

That has been our county's sentiments too. We first started discussing
weapons for animal emergencies. However, when we also realized the
terrain we travel and some of the interesting folks we are likely to
meet we started a dialogue on other uses too. If I felt uneasy in some
of the areas I go, or uneasy about someone I met while searching, it
would not be feasible to expect a deputy to get there in time to be of
any kind of help. However, I figure my horse will outrun humans, and we
can definitely outmaneuver most off road vehicles, so if I am ever in
doubt I won't be waiting around to see what transpires! <G>

Chris