market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JaMaKaEnterprise AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:19:49 EDT

I use worm castings for around veggie plants and fruit trees especially where my drip lines are. As it rains or being irrigated the value of the castings is released into soil. When my rows are planted I rake in castings in the row space. It will not burn plants or seedlings. In the orchard we drilled a foot deep 4-5 holes around each tree and filled with castings. The trees planted Jan 08 as small replacement size trees are well over 6' and weather permitting we should get a good small harvest next year. There are 40 peach trees.
If you can't find castings in your garden center look for a worm farm in your area and buy castings. The castings can also be made into a tea and used as a soil drench or spray for foliage.
There is a lot of info on the internet as to the value of worm casting

MaryKay
Reichard's Blue Barn Farm
Z-8 SE GA