market-farming - [Market-farming] Regulations you can expect if the senate passes HR 2749

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jack Moffitt <jackmoffitt AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Regulations you can expect if the senate passes HR 2749
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:01:06 -0500

I am still digesting the Food Safety Act of 2009, so my info is peicemeal. In addition to the registration of farms that aren't really farms, which I talked about in the last post, the FDA will be authorized to put out regulations that control the growing of veggies, fruits, mushrooms,etc.I'm sure they will be a helpful guide on how we are to irrigate, plant, fertilize, harvest, transport and store the foods we grow. I am sure they will be written with the clarity of any IRS regulation and enforced with the tender guidance of the DEA.

Below, is the part of the proposed law that I base these conclusions on.:

Also, The next meeting of the Senate is Aug 3, 2009, which is tomorrow. Congress did not take an August recess, only the House. One more vote and this will be our new reality, and that vote could be any day. The bill proponents want this passed bad enough that they were able to get 2 votes on it last week. It failed to pass in the first go round on July 29, passed in the second on July 30. Must have been those thousands of people sickened by food on July 29th that changed all those minds. Surely it wasn't backroom bargains.

SEC. 419A. SAFETY STANDARDS FOR PRODUCE AND CERTAIN OTHER RAW AGRICULTURAL COMMODITIES.

‘(a) Standards- The Secretary, in coordination with the Secretary of Agriculture, shall establish by regulation scientific and risk-based food safety standards for the growing, harvesting, processing, packing, sorting, transporting, and holding of those types of raw agricultural commodities--

‘(1) that are a fruit, vegetable, nut, or fungus; and

‘(2) for which the Secretary has determined that such standards are reasonably necessary to minimize the risk of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals.

‘(b) Contents- The regulations under subsection (a)--

‘(1) may set forth such procedures, processes, and practices as the Secretary determines to be reasonably necessary--

‘(A) to prevent the introduction of known or reasonably foreseeable biological, chemical, and physical hazards, including hazards that occur naturally, may be unintentionally introduced, or may be intentionally introduced, including by acts of terrorism, into raw agricultural commodities that are a fruit, vegetable, nut, or fungus; and

‘(B) to provide reasonable assurances that such commodity is not adulterated under section 402;

‘(2) may include, with respect to growing, harvesting, processing, packing, sorting, transporting, and storage operations, standards for safety as the Secretary determines to be reasonably necessary;

‘(3) may include standards addressing manure use, water quality, employee hygiene, sanitation and animal control, and temperature controls, as the Secretary determines to be reasonably necessary;

‘(4) may include standards for such other elements as the Secretary determines necessary to carry out subsection (a);

‘(5) shall provide a reasonable period of time for compliance, taking into account the needs of small businesses for additional time to comply;

‘(6) may provide for coordination of education and enforcement activities;

‘(7) shall take into consideration, consistent with ensuring enforceable public health protection, the impact on small-scale and diversified farms, and on wildlife habitat, conservation practices, watershed-protection efforts, and organic production methods;

‘(8) may provide for coordination of education and training with other government agencies, universities, private entities, and others with experience working directly with farmers; and

‘(9) may provide for recognition through guidance of other existing publicly available procedures, processes, and practices that the Secretary determines to be equivalent to those established under paragraph (1).

‘(c) Education and Compliance- The Secretary shall coordinate with the Secretary of Agriculture to provide for effective implementation of education and compliance activities. The Secretary may contract and coordinate with the agency or department designated by the Governor of each State to perform activities to ensure compliance with this section.’.

  • [Market-farming] Regulations you can expect if the senate passes HR 2749, Jack Moffitt, 08/02/2009