market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yellowing Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yellowing Basil
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 08:45:51 -0400

Robert -

I'm going to be hitting them with 10percent milk + serenade alternating with copper (we have copper deficient soils here) and horsetail tea (which you can make in 20-40 minutes on the stove)

You can pull the first water off from a nettle tea in about 24 hours but the real brew doesn't happen until all the plant has been 'digested,' which may take weeks in the shade, even in this weather.

I'd like to hear how your plans work for you.

-Allan in WV

Allan:

I'm starting to have the same problem - just noticed today - on my
peppers and tomatoes.

Looks like Septoria leaf spot.

Tomorrow, I'm going to treat with fish emulsion, epsom salts, and I'll
make a foliar spray (hope it ages quickly) of stinging nettle -

Robert Farr
The Chile Man
http://www.thechileman.com
rbfarr AT erols.com * (540) 668-7160 (w) * (703) 431-6734
"Work is love made visible." - Kahlil Gibran

Allan Balliett wrote:

I grow Genovese (?)sweet basil and have every year.

I have several beds of it this year and it's all starting to yellow very badly.

Can this be from the high levels of moisture we've had this summer?
(I foliar regularly and lettuce given the same soil fert routine are
still nice and green)

If not, what do you think?

Thanks

-Allan in WV where the raised beds are still like piles of stiff
pudding and more rain is supposed to come today and tomorrow and ...