market-farming - [Market-farming] Verm was Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Verm was Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 21:31:47 -0400

I really need to talk to someone with experience in practical on-farm vermiculture. I probably have two pickup beds loads of espresso grounds that I just haven't had the time to build verm boxes for. We are running out of warm weather (sort of) . I hear that the grounds are only of interest to worms in boxes and not in windrows because they grounds have to be kept very 'wet' to remain palatable to the little red guys. I just don't know what boxes work well and which ones to avoid. Anyone? -Allan in WV

I use worm castings for around veggie plants and fruit trees especially where my drip lines are. As it rains or being irrigated the value of the castings is released into soil. When my rows are planted I rake in castings in the row space. It will not burn plants or seedlings. In the orchard we drilled a foot deep 4-5 holes around each tree and filled with castings. The trees planted Jan 08 as small replacement size trees are well over 6' and weather permitting we should get a good small harvest next year. There are 40 peach trees.
If you can't find castings in your garden center look for a worm farm in your area and buy castings. The castings can also be made into a tea and used as a soil drench or spray for foliage.
There is a lot of info on the internet as to the value of worm casting
MaryKay
Reichard's Blue Barn Farm
Z-8 SE GA