market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic in Vinegar not oil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic in Vinegar not oil
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

> > Garlic in vinegar is a regulated product, and this is considered an
> acidified food. Garlic in oil is also regulated, as must be
> water-bathed (acidified foods can be "hot-filled" and hermetically
> sealed).
OK now we're talking. This is what my question was. Now that I have my
infusion should I bring it to a boil before pouring into sterile jars? My
jars have twist tops and shrink covers, is this acceptable as hermetically
sealed?
Here in North Idaho the regulations are pretty lax. I do a lot of breads
that are allowable for sale at Farmer's Market. I have been a chef in my
past life and have trained folk in food handling and safety. The local
health district couldn't answer my question and said it fell in a "grey
area". The extension agent also had no answers. I have seen a lady in
the next town over with herbal vinegars at their Farmer's Market and she
says she does not reheat the infusion, just strains and bottles and caps.
But she is the one who will not use garlic and she is the Garlic Queen of
the area!