market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrots
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:31:11 -0400

We are having a difficult time getting carrots to germinate this summer.
We planted our fall carrots, as usual, around the 15th of July.

Margaret,
We too are having a terrible time getting our carrots to germinate this
year. I have 3 varieties, 1 from Burpee, 1 from Johnny's and one from a
local nursery. And only one has germinated and it was fairly scarce.
The others never even bothered to come up!! I have re-seeded, now 3
times, and am still waiting. Actually, this is my fourth as I just
tilled the un-germinated row under and planted more seed. Hopefully in
a week or so, I should have some. We just can't figure it out. We have
had nothing but rain this year. We live in Northeast Ohio. And am to
expect another lovely 4 days of rain starting today. Yippy! I think I
should have grown rice this year. Not too much is happy in our acre
garden. Anyone else having problems with carrots?

Courtney
Herb Thyme

  • [Market-farming] Carrots, Courtney McLeod, 07/31/2003