market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrots
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:39:03 EDT

Thank you Robert for the good advice regarding the garlic & oil posts.  I didn't mean to get on my soap-box about regulations & TxA&M (yes, I know there have been several outbreaks), but I get SO tired of hitting a brick wall everytime I try something new.

As for carrots, I'm no expert at them, but I do know that peak germination (soil temp) is 77 degrees.  They should still do fairly well all the way up to 86 degrees, but the percentage will drop & they will germ more slowly.

I'm having the same problem with just about every seed I'm trying to sprout right now.  Even corn & melon seeds are having a time of it when daytime highs are in the 100's.  I'm having to water the soil VERY deeply a couple of times a day to ensure that soil moisture will still be present 6 hours later at the level of the seeds.

By the way, what is remay?  I've seen mention of it a couple of times, but haven't heard of it before.

-Maridian

  • [Market-farming] Carrots, Courtney McLeod, 07/31/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [Market-farming] Carrots, Liannan88, 07/31/2003