internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Ray <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:33:25 -0500

i lost a $3000 phone system earlier this year with gas discharge suppressors on the phone lines and UPS on the power cord.  if mother nature is gonna get you, she's just gonna go on and do it no matter what protection you have.
Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.

Mark Turner wrote:
Lyman Green wrote:

wow that blog post reference is fascinating.  And VERY detailed.

I think that what it means is most houses are radically
under-protected from lightning.

Fortunately, direct lightning strikes on homes are rare. That webpage is
written for ham radio operators with big-ass antenna towers that need
lightning protection. As you can imagine, big-ass towers (BATs) make
excellent lightning rods. :)

I once visited a customer who had lightning strike the utility pole
outside his business. The pole's grounding cable properly sent most of
the current harmlessly into the ground, keeping most of his equipment
from getting fried.

But not all of it stayed in the ground: he had ungrounded copper lines
running between buildings. The current happily followed these lines
right into his computers. Lucky for him, the lightning merely blew out
the modem cards and not the PCs in which they were installed. If he had
a simple grounding block on those lines, he would have not even noticed
the strike (a *direct* strike on his building would've been another
story, though).

Mark Turner
www.markturner.net
---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

begin:vcard
fn:Jim Ray
n:Ray;Jim
org:Neuse River Network, Inc.
adr:;;2610 Vanderbilt Ave.;Raleigh;NC;27607-7247;US
email;internet:jim AT neuse.net
title:President
tel;work:919-838-1672 x111
note:Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.neuse.net
version:2.1
end:vcard