internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:33:47 -0500

Tarus Balog wrote:

I lost a 4DTV receiver due to a lightening strike without a surge protector. I bought a Monster surge protector for ~$80 at Best Buy,

You're lucky! You could have been out a 4DTV *and* a smoldering, $200 surge protector. Lightning has just traveled *THREE MILES* through clear air. It will sneer at your puny surge protector and keep right on going (and not some fool Billy Idol sneer, either)*.

If you're concerned about lightning, hire someone who specializes in lightning protection to properly protect your home. Progress Energy sells a commercial-grade surge protector which can go a long way towards protecting your home wiring (though you need to also ground your satellite dish, phone line, and cable TV lines, too). Not even their solution will protect against a direct lightning strike, however:

http://www.progress-energy.com/custservice/carres/surgeprotect/faq.asp

For far more lightning protection information than you ever wanted, follow the link in this blog post:

http://www.markturner.net/?q=node/805

Mark Turner
www.markturner.net

* Obligatory Mojo Nixon reference.