internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:06:41 -0500

Lyman Green wrote:
wow that blog post reference is fascinating. And VERY detailed.

I think that what it means is most houses are radically
under-protected from lightning.

Fortunately, direct lightning strikes on homes are rare. That webpage is written for ham radio operators with big-ass antenna towers that need lightning protection. As you can imagine, big-ass towers (BATs) make excellent lightning rods. :)

I once visited a customer who had lightning strike the utility pole outside his business. The pole's grounding cable properly sent most of the current harmlessly into the ground, keeping most of his equipment from getting fried.

But not all of it stayed in the ground: he had ungrounded copper lines running between buildings. The current happily followed these lines right into his computers. Lucky for him, the lightning merely blew out the modem cards and not the PCs in which they were installed. If he had a simple grounding block on those lines, he would have not even noticed the strike (a *direct* strike on his building would've been another story, though).

Mark Turner
www.markturner.net