internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 04:04:24 -0500

On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Mark Turner wrote:

Everytime you add a connector to the line, you lose at least 3db of
signal, which is significant. Minimize the number of things you put
between the source and your TV. For instance, you can dispense with the
surge protector, which does more harm than good as it offers signal loss
(remember the 3db?) and essentially worthless protection.

I lost a 4DTV receiver due to a lightening strike without a surge protector. I bought a Monster surge protector for ~$80 at Best Buy, and it caused a lot of "mosaic" patterns and loss of signal. I called Monster and they sent me the $200 model which worked like a champ.

While it is hard to recreate a lightening strike, I am not sure they are worthless. But from experience I would avoid the cheap ones.

-T

P.S. Of course, taking the surge protector out of the loop and seeing if the Food Network looks better would be a great first step.

-----

Tarus Balog
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
Main : +1 919 545 2553 Fax: +1 503-961-7746
Direct: +1 919 647 4749 Skype: tarusb
Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C