internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:41:04 -0500

On Dec 19, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Tom Caswell wrote:
Here's my setup:

Wall -> Surge Protector -> Splitter -> TV and Tivo.

I split the signal because I want to be able to watch something else if the Tivo is recording a show. I've tried inserting a Radio Shack CATV amplifier into the setup according to instructions. The TV becomes unwatchable. Was the signal too high or did I possibly install it incorrectly? The signal is very clean if I go straight from the wall into the TV.

Did you put the amp before the spliter or after? It should go before the splitter:

Wall -> Surge -> Amp -> Splitter -> TV & Tivo

For what it's worth I've used similar or the same Radio Shack amp you have. I didn't think it did a great job. My current house has 5 rooms wired with CATV and 1 drop for RoadRunner. With those kinds of runs the installers added an external/internal amp. The amp has one device that goes external and inside the house has a power brick and a cable that plugs into the wall. Powered from inside the signal is amplified across all lines by the device on the outside of the house.

Regarding your splitter, make sure it is rated to 1000MHZ which is what is used in high end DTV setups. A cheap splitter won't help matters. If you get lucky that's all you may need :)

--
Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1