internetworkers - [internetworkers] CATV signals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] CATV signals
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:15:56 -0800 (PST)

I have a CATV setup and a problem. The signal seems to degrade as the
channels get higher. It's pretty grainy around Food Network which we watch
alot.

Here's my setup:

Wall -> Surge Protector -> Splitter -> TV and Tivo.

I split the signal because I want to be able to watch something else if the
Tivo is recording a show. I've tried inserting a Radio Shack CATV amplifier
into the setup according to instructions. The TV becomes unwatchable. Was
the signal too high or did I possibly install it incorrectly? The signal is
very clean if I go straight from the wall into the TV.

I realize the Tivo is doing an MPEG compression/decompression on the fly and
that may cause some of the graininess. However, the lower channels are
pretty crisp which leads me to believe the signal is actually degrading. Any
A/V geeks with any ideas or proven solutions?

Tom