homestead - Re: [Homestead] California

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] California
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:17:40 -0800

Some of the areas around the various deltas would indeed have been called swamps, back in the day <g> A lot of them had Western Hemlock growing around them and they are just as weird looking as the cypress and mangrove swamps with the trunks up above the ground and spider leg looking roots growing over everything.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I wonder about the Delta area before the dikes were built.

For those who don't know, the confluence of the Sacramento River from
the north with the San Joaquin River from the south has contiguous to
it a large area called the Delta that was tamed with dikes, the water
pumped out, and the below-water-level islands thereby created have
rich peat land valuable for farming.

Seems to me that before the dikes were built, that area may have been
a huge swamp.