homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:36:41 -0800

Oh, the savannahs are easy <g> Lots of areas in Humboldt County could be classified as savannahs. The redwoods are considered to be a rain forest and thus the wide open grasslands with few trees that butt up to the actual forests would qualify.

No Okefenokee Swamp. We do have smaller swamps (98 to be exact <g>) and parts of the Okefenokee would be classed out here as riparian forests. And we have alkali marshes. Putah Creek down at Sacramento is a good example of riparian forests. So are some of the areas of the Mattole Valley.

But, we've got the only *real* trees <g> AND, the second place *real* trees and the oldest trees <<bg>>

And we have both high desert and plain old desert and the lowest desert. Mt. Lassen is high desert. Death Valley, of course, the Mohave and several others.

Oh, and ice caves. Strange critters that we learned about when we moved up here. There's one just across town from us. Really interesting to go into it when it is 115 outside.

Now Lynda, you know I can't resist a challenge...
Do you have savannahs? or an Okeefenokee? ;)

Actually, CA diversity in land and climate sounds a lot like
Georgia....The only thing we really don't have is desert, but some of
the So Georgia cropland would remind you of it, I think...lol,,,so much
sand!
Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.