homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:43:08 -0800

Well, if you go way up to the top and count four down of the names sticking
out in the ocean <g> that would be us, Wiyot.

Our area is rather different than most of CA as we have a very steady climate (average of about 60 year round), little frost (maybe 6 days a year and no hard frost), over 300 growing days and the only reason for the moves was the flooding. Up until about 1690, there was less moving as what is now the Bay was a river and creek delta and it was only visited for the fishing. Kinda day tripping, you might say <g>

As you head East, you had groups who didn't migrate at all. The Hoopa built their houses and stayed in one place. Same with the Chilula and most Yurok. As you travel down the coast, most coastal tribes stayed put.

Way south you got more semi-nomadic tribes. You also saw that in the Eastern side of the upper Valley areas because it is high desert.

And, you would be correct in your other e-mail. I always laugh when folks ask "what's it like in California." I have to reply, there is no California. There's a whole bunch of different places that call themselves California. Name me a climate and I can find you a place. Dry, humid, coastal, desert, mountains, snow, valleys, rain forest, no rain, over 100" of rain.

I found this map, in case anyone else out there is interested..
http://www.kstrom.net/isk/maps/ca/calprecontact.gif