homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:17:20 -0400

Lynda wrote:

The population was permanent in the "idealic" areas, of which there were many in Southern California. Once upon a time there were forests with year-round creeks, streams and rivers. Once upon a time there were lovely green valleys.

The tribes whose permanent homes were in those areas were forced out into the "white man doesn't want them" areas.

Okay, I wasn't aware of that...where exactly were/are those places in today's landscape?

California's tribes weren't nomadic. Some were semi-nomadic in that, such as mine, we had more than one home for specific purposes all within a mile or two of each other. One didn't have a home in the flood plains during the winter and spring and one didn't stay up in the hills where it would be brown and dry during the summers but rather moved down to the coast/flood plains for the summer and fall.

That's kinda what I meant by semi nomadic..they might have a mountain home and a valley home, etc. and they would move seasonally, which is of course a good way not to overuse and abuse natural resources. The structures could be permanent structures, but they wouldn't live year around, year after year, in one place.

***This wouldn't be true of California tribes. At least not in how you are thinking of nomadic, or even semi-nomadic.

See above for my definition of semi-nomadic.

Most tribes had a permanent
home. *Some* tribes were semi-nomadic but even those had actual permanent homes. Mine would be such a group. The houses had four wood plank walls, the equivalent of shake roofs. One on high ground for winter/spring and one down on the rivers/coast for summer/fall. Usually only a mile or so apart.

You say "mine"...where was that group? What group was/is it?

Their culture wasn't eroded. They were made slaves or simply killed.

LOL, I would think that is the ultimate in culture erosion..lol

Their
culture was deliberately and systematically destroyed. First by the missionaries and then by the land grants (wholesale murder) and finally by the boarding school system put into place by the U.S. government.

Yes, I have heard of the boarding school thing.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.