homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:26:43 -0700

At 10/25/2007, you wrote:
I understand. But, were the mission Indians truly native to the area as
permanent residents, or were they rounded up by the missionaries and
then shoved aside? Europeans move to a place and stay, and I can
imagine that they wouldn't like natives moving in, even seasonally to
hunt or fish. Likewise, I doubt the natives liked having their culture
eroded.

The natives here were mostly semi nomadic but within carefully described and rather small boundaries with movement proscribed by seasonal food supplies. Some were in more or less permanent settlements in areas where water and food were available for most of the year. Many maintained farms.

There is sufficient surface water and springs to support a significant but small population here. With dams and water control the maximum population that can be supported is about 5% of the current 2 million population. Surface water and springs can support about half that.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com