homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:11:41 -0400

Okay, I wasn't aware of that...where exactly were/are those places in today's landscape?
California's tribes weren't nomadic. Some were semi-nomadic in that, such as mine, we had more than one home for specific purposes all within a mile or two of each other. One didn't have a home in the flood plains during the winter and spring and one didn't stay up in the hills where it would be brown and dry during the summers but rather moved down to the coast/flood plains for the summer and fall.

You happen to know if migration connections continued into sharecroppers. Somehow my grandfather was reunited w a chunk of his family from OK reservation he was bought off of at age 16 to CA where they were typical of Grapes of Wrath. Garberville or Humboldt

Kathyann